Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lettuce trial rap up

Well 4 weeks are up on my Lettuce trial of growing in drink cups. Without question the Green Mignonette proved the best but at the same time the 30 degrees plus is getting to hot for most lettuce, it starts to show with the outer edges burning or browning so I will try again in the autumn, but over all I still think the widow box has proved a reliable 4 week cycle it will be interesting with the new Darwin Variety that I have sown. Never the less I will enjoy fresh salad tonight along with just picked Cucumber and beet root that I cooked last night from the garden.
Also I should point out these plants have been on the same nutrient mix as everything else, If I wanted to get real serious I would feed from a separate tank at a lower CF. and keep the water cool.


Green Mignonette in Drink Cups

Not the best and not as good as the window box system

Take your pick
Now the single 12 " hydrotray that I have been using for the lettuce trial will now be the home of my Giant Sunflower seed that has just popped its head through "Happy Birthday Sunny"

Welcome Sunny
It will move to new home once it gets a little bigger.
Talking about bigger take a look at my Black Russian Tomatoes lots of fruit set all over and they are racing

plenty of fruit set

Thought I would plant some Celery this week haven't grown it in the system before mainly because I am not a big fan of the stuff, I have seen it growing in the PVC drain pipe system and it was all floppy and green with no real big crunchy stalk so I have made surrounds to force the growth up and to keep the light off the stalk. I have used a wast product that comes between the layers of pavers, cut and taped it to fit around, I was not paying $15.00 for a piece of PVC. It will be interesting to see how this goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment