Thursday, January 12, 2012

Summer Salads

Well the mad season is almost gone just the kids back to school is next then we can all get back to normal.
With the extra space in the new "Grow House" things are racing. I am extremely impressed with the DARWIN lettuce variety the taste test will be the final thing to call on. I have just sown the other variety I want to try and that is Salad Bowl Green. Had to pick my first Black Russian Tomatoes they where starting to burst, due to the fact that they don't show up as bright red like normal tomatoes I left them to long so the lesson is as soon as they show colour pick them. I have saved a couple that had burst as a seed source which are undergoing the cleaning process at the moment.


Black Russian
This is virtually from one branch weight 2.5 kg and there will be as much still to come so lets say around 5 kg from 2 plants.

3 lettuce variety's plus cocktail tomatoes and fresh herbs
 This is what I love about the Autopot System I walk out to the garden and bring in fresh lettuce and put it on the bench. now I can choose to pick of a few leaves and return it to the System or I can cut it fresh there and then and replant knowing that i will have another ready in 4 weeks. Sorry "Woollies" you cant beat that. In this Photo you will note the lovely Cocktail Tomatoes as well as fresh bush basil, Italian parsley and curly parsley along with Currie Herb. By the time I add cucumber, radish and red onion, carrot and cheese along with avocado I have a wonderful super fresh salad that my grand kids line up for
Take a look at this lettuce beautiful colour flat growing very soft in the leaf and will stand being picked leaf at a time slow to bolt so ideal for Queensland summer growing.

Darwin Lettuce


Oak Leaf Lettuce
This is another good lettuce to grow, stands a little more heat than the butter head and is a good picking lettuce if you prefer to go that way.

Beetroot doing well

Red and Brown onions

These Hybrid Cucumber will hit the roof in the next few days.
Remember Sunny the sunflower that I showed you in an earlier blog well I have just done some stats on it and here they are. Taken at 47 days Height 1210 ml.  less 210 for pot leaves 1000 ml that's an average of 23 ml per day growth from day one. I think that's pretty impressive.

Sunny the sunflower
 


No comments:

Post a Comment