Monday, January 30, 2012

Food for thought

I spend every weekend at the local markets with my mobile display and their would not be a day go by that someone will bring up the subject of organic gardening and believe me there are some interesting interpretations out there which bring me to an interesting article I came across which I will share with you.


AUSTRALIA

Australia: Organic Label Outdated? 
 A recent article in Practical Hydroponics & Greenhouses magazine has called into question the value of the soil grown-only ‘organic’ label, noting that soil growing is far less efficient than hydroponics and far more likely to lead to pollution of groundwater through the runoff of plant nutrients.
Dr. Mike Nichols, a retired university teacher from Massey University, believes that the whole concept of an ‘organic’ rating for food crops is outdated and of little practical value, stating that “much of the ‘organic philosophy’ appears to be based on the UK Soil Association and the writings of Rudolph Steiner. Both organizations [had] their origins well before anyone considered growing crops commercially using hydroponic systems, and so hydroponics did not get considered.”
I am sure there will be a few that will challenge this view but it opens up a very interesting topic.
I would like to thing I am personally practising what I feel is a form of organic growing by using a pure organic soil as my medium and supporting that with a Nutrient supplement that is derived from good quality products. My medium acts as a buffer to the plant which in turn draws exactly what it wants for maximum growth. another important factor is due to the fact the plants are strong and healthy they are less susceptible to insect attack there for no need for any form of spray.
I would like to think the Autopot System gives me the best of both worlds.

THE TASTE TEST.

I am currently feasting on Fresh salads using the Darwin lettuce that I have been testing, also grown in an organic medium so this is what I think of it.
Grows like the acorn leaf varieties but more flat, lovely light green with excellent flavor but is inclined to be a very soft lettuce so you need to pick and use. It is supposed to be a slow to bolt variety but in all fairness probable similar to the  butter head.
Will I grow it again YES.


Darwin Lettuce


No comments:

Post a Comment