Friday, September 9, 2011

Purple Carrot experiment

I was talking to a gentleman at one of the markets who informed me he grew carrots in sand.
Now this intrigued me and on thinking about it I liked the idea as you should get good root development and less chance of deformity. So I have decided to carry out an experiment and will keep you posted re the results.
My test is to use one 10'' pot with 50% river sand and 50% Premium Potting Mix and the other one with 50% River sand with 50 % Perlite / Vermiculite mix. I have use seedlings so I can get good spacings and there is about 20 carrots to a pot.

Supposed to be very healthy


One with 50% Potting mix and one with 50% Perlite Mix

There is around 20 Carrots to each pot
The sand mix was great to work with, I like the feel of it and I can see me possibly adding sand to my mix for other plantings. I used a dibble to plant each seedling and tried to make the spacing even so each plant can expand to its maximum.  We will follow with interest.




No comments:

Post a Comment